2019 Street Resurfacing Program
The 2019 Street Resurfacing Program construction is starting in July and expected to be completed in September 2019. This project will involve grinding and resurfacing various streets. Residents will receive a construction notice one weeks prior to start of work. An interactive construction season map is also available to get the latest update on all construction activities within the City of Batavia. The project is currently inviting Bids from potential contractors. The City is expecting to open the bids on June 4, 2019.
Current Status (May 20, 2019)
Provide Batavia residents and businesses with safe, drive-able roadway surfaces by resurfacing deteriorated streets.
The City's annual Street Maintenance Improvement Program consists of three major categories:
- Preventive maintenance (Crackfill)
- Street Resurfacing
- Street Reconstruction
The goal of this project is to resurface the pavement surface and repair the failing concrete infrastructure in the public right-of-way. To accomplish this, deteriorated curb through some driveways and storm structures on your street will be removed and replaced before the street is resurfaced.
A City staff member will evaluate the curb in front of your home to determine if the curb is in substandard condition, or negatively affects the street surface. If the curb is in substandard condition, it will be marked with a set of arrows facing each other to indicate the section of curb that is to be replaced at no cost to you. Please note that cracks in your curb do not necessarily indicate a need for replacement. Storm sewer structures will also be evaluated and replaced as part of the process.
A City staff member will also evaluate your sidewalk to see if it qualifies for the city’s Sidewalk Replacement Program. Deteriorated sidewalk squares in need of repair or replacement will be designated with a white “X” mark. One of the following conditions must exist for a sidewalk to be replaced using the city’s Sidewalk Replacement Program.
1. Sidewalk squares must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between sections.
2. Sidewalk squares must be broken or separated into four or more pieces.
3. Sidewalk squares must have 50 percent or more of the surface deteriorated.In the case of asphalt driveway aprons, the City of Batavia will repair the impacted damaged driveway aprons. However, the City will not repair the driveway aprons with brick, stamped concrete, stones/gravels and other decorative materials. Brick driveways will have only the necessary bricks removed to complete the repairs. The bricks will then be stockpiled on the property. The property owner must then make arrangements to have them reset by a private brick driveway contractor. When driveway access is restricted, the overnight street parking restrictions in the area will be relaxed. During construction the roadway will be open to local traffic only.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DECORATIVE LANDSCAPING, SPRINKLER SYSTEMS AND BURIED ELECTRONIC FENCE EQUIPMENT MUST BE LOCATED, AND CLEARLY MARKED BY THE HOMEOWNER THROUGHOUT THE CONSTRUCTION PERIOD. MAINTAINING THE MARKINGS AND PROTECTION OF THESE ITEMS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HOMEOWNER. THE CITY OF BATAVIA WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO UNMARKED SYSTEMS.
Frequently asked questions
These projects are funded by Local Tax Funds.
- For concerns, questions or special events that need to be coordinated, please call 630-454-2750 or contact John Kennedy. Staff will get back to you during normal business hours Monday thru Friday, 7 a.m - 4 p.m.
- Between the hours of 4 p.m. - 7 a.m., for non-life threatening emergencies, please contact the non-emergency police line at 630-454-2000
- For emergency situations, please dial 911