Leaf Collection Program
Leaf Collection Program
Tuesday, 11/29 Update: The curbside leaf collection program has been completed for the season.
- Advanced Disposal will be picking up yard waste bags containing leaves only WITHOUT refuse/yard waste stickers during the month of December. This will be done on residents’ scheduled collection dates from December 1-31. Loose leaves will not be collected, nor will leaves in plastic bags or cans.
- Use a mulching lawnmower to mulch leaves back into the lawn. This provides nutrients for the soil.
- Place leaves in and around plant beds and under trees and shrubs. Again, this provides good nutrients for the soil and plants; it also insulates the plants.
The leaf collection program provides every resident with three collection opportunities, weather permitting. Please follow the guidelines below:
- Rake leaves to the space in the parkway no farther than 6’ behind curb and not in street by 6 a.m. on the Monday of your scheduled week. Leaves will be collected in designated areas, rain or shine. Crews will not return to an area once they have made one pass during the scheduled weeks. If crews pass your home before your leaves are out, the leaves may not be picked up for two more weeks.
- Per City ordinance, do not rake leaves into the street as this can create an unsafe driving surface and clogged storm drains, which can cause flooding. Raking leaves into a long windrow, rather than a large pile, will expedite the process. Please note that residents whose homes back up to an alley must still place leaves in their front parkway.
- Do not pile your leaves around obstacles such as mailboxes, utility poles/boxes, hydrants, trees, and sign posts.
- Limbs/brush should be placed in a separate pile for collection and may not be combined with leaf piles, as this damages the equipment. Limbs/brush should only be placed at the curb if there is a scheduled collection. The final citywide BRUSH collection will be done the week of November 28 for both sides of town.
LEAF collections begin on Mondays at 6 a.m. according to the proposed schedule. Updates showing progress each day will be posted on the Leaf Collection Progress Map at the end of the business day.
|Oct. 17, 2016 - COMPLETED||Oct. 24, 2016 - COMPLETED
|Oct. 31, 2016 - COMPLETED||Nov. 7, 2016 - COMPLETED|
|Nov. 14, 2016 - COMPLETED||Nov. 21, 2016 - COMPLETED|
Although best efforts will be made to remain on schedule, the dates above may change due to the weather and volume of leaves put out for collection. Snow or freezing weather may significantly delay or permanently halt curbside leaf collection, as some of the equipment that is used to remove leaves is also used to handle deicing and snowplowing.
If you have any questions on the leaf program, please call the Street Division of Batavia Public Works at 630‑454-2400.