2017 Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Program
City Staff is in the process of awarding the contract for this years Program. The Contract will be awarded at the March 20, 2017 City Council Meeting and the Contractor may begin work shortly there after; all work should be completed by May 31st. The City is no longer taking additional locations for the 2017 program. Deadline to have locations of sidewalk added for the 2018 program is October 31, 2017.
Each year the City of Batavia performs sidewalk maintenance to repair defects within the city sidewalk system. These repairs ensure pedestrian safety as well as reduce liability for the property owner and the city of Batavia.
- Walks must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between sections (picture);
- Broken or separated into three or more pieces (picture);
- 50 percent or more of the surface deteriorated (picture).
*PLEASE NOTE THAT ALL DECORATIVE LANDSCAPING, SPRINKLER SYSTEMS AND BURIED ELECTRONIC FENCE EQUIPMENT MUST BE LOCATED AND CLEARLY MARKED BY THE HOMEOWNER. PROTECTION OF THESE ITEMS IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE HOMEOWNER. THE CITY OF BATAVIA WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO UNMARKED SYSTEMS.
- Crews use a saw to cut the sidewalk to allow for clean removal and to prevent damage to adjacent sidewalk or driveway pavement.
- A second crew removes the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron.
- Another crew installs wood/metal framing to help form the concrete when it is poured.
- A fourth crew pours the concrete and puts the finishing touches on the surface of the concrete. A separate crew will replace the asphalt driveway apron if needed.
- Finally, the sidewalk/curb/driveway apron is backfilled with topsoil and seed by a landscaping crew.