Quarterly update on Batavia’s Strategic plan
Batavia City Administrator Laura Newman presented a strategic action plan update to the Batavia City Council recently.
Updates for 2022’s second quarter included progress toward the city’s economic, transportation, infrastructure, Fox River, and diversity, equity, and inclusion goals.
Progress on economic vitality objectives include:
- Held stakeholder meetings for the Economic Development Strategic Plan to get community feedback on strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Hired consulting firm, Houseal Lavigne to assist the city in creating a downtown plan.
- Completed an RFP for two entryway signs to be installed on the north and south ends of Batavia Avenue.
Progress on transportation objectives include:
- Received IDOT report that deemed a road diet feasible for Batavia’s stretch of Route 31.
- Plans to implement additional road markings for bikes and additional bike lanes will be addressed in the Active Transportation Plan under development.
- Engaged in field study by Active Transportation Alliance on areas of concern for bicyclists/pedestrians and additional stakeholder meetings were held.
Progress on infrastructure objectives include:
- Discussed potential infrastructure projects within the TIF 1 district which will expire at the end of 2024. Potential projects to use those funds include catenary, or hanging, lights on north River Street, riverbank stabilization, remodeling City Hall, and one-way conversion on north River Street.
Progress on Fox River objectives include:
- Published RFPs for four city-owned downtown properties, including one riverfront location. The city is also working with a developer of a privately owned riverfront property on a proposed mixed-use development.
- Planned the It’s Our Fox River clean-up event for September.
Progress on diversity objectives:
- Held two meetings with the Workplace DEI Group.
- Invited to join the Metropolitan Council of Mayor’s DEI steering committee and working group.
- Applied to be a part of a six-month pilot project that provides education and technical assistance for initiating DEI within our organization.
For complete details on the Strategic Action Plan, please visit cityofbatavia.net/strategicplan.