- City Government
- City Council & Committee of the Whole
- Guide to Public Meetings
Guide to Public Meetings
The City of Batavia operates through a number of bodies, all operating under the Open Meeting Act of the State of IllInois:
City Council Meetings:
- Meet 1st & 3rd Mondays of each month at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers.
- The City Council is comprised of 14 aldermen (2 from each ward) and is chaired by the mayor.
- The mayor votes in cases of ties or certain other matters according to state law.
Committee of the Whole (COW) Meetings:
- Meet every 2nd and 4th Tuesday (with additional meetings as necessary) at 7:00 p.m. in the City Council Chambers.
- The Committee of the Whole is comprised of 14 aldermen (2 from each ward) and is chaired by the Mayor pro term (the senior most alderperson).
- Discuss matters in depth, and make recommendations for formal action at the City Council level.
City Council and Committee of the Whole meetings are live streamed on BATV’s YouTube Channel 17, and available later to view on the City’s website.
(Under certain circumstances members and the public may attend either meeting by phone or zoom sessions as well)
- All public meetings require written agendas.
- Agendas and supporting documentation for the meetings are available at least 48 hours prior to each meeting. They are posted at City Hall and on the City’s website.
- An item not appearing on the agenda may not be voted upon except in extreme emergencies.
Written minutes are posted on the City’s website a few weeks after approval by the body.
Call to Order – Call to order, opening remarks and Pledge of Allegiance.
Consent Agenda - Items are typically routine in nature and are considered for approval with a single motion and vote.
Matters From The Public (for items not on the agenda) – Provides the public with an opportunity to address the Council or COW on any item that does not appear on the agenda.
Public Hearings – A special “meeting within a meeting”. They are not very frequent, mostly reserved for land use matters as required by law, and are generally held at an early stage during a Council or COW meeting.
Presentations – Consisting of citizen achievements, descriptions of upcoming events, and/or the introduction of new businesses in Batavia.
Business Items - A number of business items covering those issues which require council discussion and/or decision.
Executive Sessions – Held during regular public meetings for specific purposes such as imminent litigation, real property transactions and/or personnel matters as allowed under state law. They are not open to the public.
Meetings generally conclude with reports or comments from the City Administrator, City Council members a,nd the Mayor, followed by Adjournment.
A successful democracy depends upon open communication by all. Therefore, the Mayor and City Council ask that meeting attendees agree to the following guidelines.
Batavia Meeting Agreements:
- Please respect both the Council’s desire to hear the widest range of views and other guests’ opportunity to participate, so please avoid repeating facts or opinions that have been already discussed. While the City does not regularly impose a time limit, the chair may manage the commentary period out of consideration of others present and the need to conduct other business.
- Comments should be addressed to the body as a whole, not individual members, as the authority of the Council is as a body. This forum is not designed to be a question-and-answer session. All speakers and their comments are deserving of attention and respect whatever the content. Therefore applause, shouting, interruption, personal attacks or comments from the audience or any other action that could intimidate anyone from sharing an opinion is strongly discouraged.
- Please respect all people at the meeting including those on the meeting board, staff, and any audience members.
- Note that any remarks made are being digitally recorded and also being live-streamed on BATV. Your attendance at the meeting constitutes consent to the broadcast of your image and any testimony at the meeting.
It is the policy of the City of Batavia that all City public meetings are accessible to people with disabilities. If you need assistance in participating in public meetings due to a disability as defined in the ADA, please call the Mayor’s Office at 630- 454-2053 to request an accommodation.
Thank you for attending YOUR community meeting and for your participation in local government.
City Administrator: Laura Newman
Community & Economic Development Director: Scott Buening
Finance Director: Peggy Colby
Fire Chief: Craig Hanson
Human Resources Director: Wendy Bednarek
Information Technology: Howard Chason
Police Chief: Shawn Mazza
Public Works Director: Gary Holm