- How Do I...
- Single-Use Bag Fees
Single-Use Bag Fees
Nov. 21, 2022 the Batavia City Council approved an ordinance implementing a retail single-use bag fee, beginning July 1, 2023.
Below are some answers about the new fee. For complete details, please refer to the municipal code, Ordinance 22-59.
- How much is the fee and what bags are included?
The fee is 10 cents for any non-reusable bag provided by a retail establishment in Batavia that is larger than 5,000 square feet.
- Are restaurants, pharmacies, produce, meat and bakery bags included?
No. The following types of bags are excluded from the fee:
- A bag provided by a pharmacist that contains a prescription drug.
- Any newspaper bags, door hanger bags, dry cleaning and garment bags, and bags sold in packages containing multiple bags for uses such as food storage, garbage, pet waste, or yard waste.
- A bag provided at the point of sale at a seasonal event, such as a farmers market, street fair, or yard sale, or by an occasional or temporary retailer.
- A paper or plastic bag that a restaurant gives a customer to take prepared or leftover food or drink from the restaurant.
- Bags used by customers inside stores to package bulk items, such as fruit, vegetables, nuts, grains, candy or small hardware items.
- Bags used by customers inside stores to contain or wrap frozen foods, meat, or fish.
- Bags used by customers inside stores to contain or wrap flowers, potted plants, or other items where dampness may be a problem.
- Bags used by customers inside stores to contain unwrapped prepared foods or bakery goods.
- A bag used to protect a purchased item from damaging or contaminating other purchased items when placed in a carryout single-use bag or reusable bag.
- What is considered a reusable bag?
A reusable bag means one with handles that are specifically designed and manufactured for multiple re-uses and is made of cloth, fiber, or other machine-washable fabric.
- Where do the fees go?
Each retail establishment that collects the fee retains 4 cents from the 10-cent fee. The remaining 6 cents are remitted to the City of Batavia.