If eligible, property owners have the option of hiring a private contractor to repair their faulty sidewalks. In order for a section of sidewalk to qualify for the city’s Sidewalk Replacement Program, one of the following conditions must exist:
- Sidewalk must be sunken or risen to a height difference of one inch or more between sections
- Sidewalk must be broken or separated into four or more pieces
- Fifty percent or more of the sidewalk surface must have deteriorated
If eligible, property owners have the option of hiring a private contractor to repair their faulty sidewalks. To qualify for reimbursement property owner must comply with the following:
1. Prior to beginning any work, property owners must call 630-454-2750 to schedule an inspection to confirm if one of the conditions listed above exists.
2. The inspector will leave a door hanger stating whether or not the sidewalk meets the conditions for reimbursement.
3. If sidewalk meets the criteria for reimbursement, the hired contractor must obtain the necessary permits to perform the work in the public right-of-way.
4. Upon completion of the work, the property owner must submit a copy of their paid invoice to the city for reimbursement. The invoice must have a square footage amount of sidewalk work completed and a unit price of cost per square foot for the sidewalk. The invoice must be marked “PAID” or a copy of the processed check must be included. 5. When the invoice is processed, the city will conduct an inspection of the completed work to ensure that it meets city standards. The processing period typically takes 3-4 weeks.
In general, for single family homes the property owner will be reimbursed a maximum of 50 percent of the cost that the City of Batavia would have paid for the work under the city’s program. In cases where the property owner obtains a price less than what the city would have paid, the City of Batavia will reimburse 50 percent of the lower costs.
For questions related to the sidewalk removal and replacement program, please contact the City of Batavia engineering department at 630-454-2752.